BBDO Toronto led all Canadian agencies with six Pencils at The One Show in New York Wednesday night, including a pair of golds in the Moving Image Craft category for its work with Right to Play.
This year’s edition of one of the industry’s marquee awards shows attracted a total of 19,445 submissions from 73 countries. A total of 85 gold, 92 silver and 99 bronze Pencils were distributed to work from 23 countries. The awards were handed out in nine categories Wednesday night with another 12 category winners to be announced at another show Friday night.
BBDO Toronto’s “Anthem” spot for Right to Play’s “We Rise” campaign won gold in the Cinematography—Single category, while “We Rise” also won a gold Pencil in the Cinematography—Campaign category.
Rethink, along with Morrison Films Montreal and 1One Production Montreal, won Canada’s other gold Pencil, in the Design, Branding—Brand Installations category, with “Pride Shield” for Fondation Émergence.
DDB Vancouver was also part of a gold Pencil-winning submission officially awarded to We Are Unlimited Chicago for McDonald’s called “The Flip,” which won in both the Design Branding—Brand Installations and Design Experiential/Environmental—Out of Home—Single categories. Other agencies listed on the submission included The Marketing Store Chicago and DDB New York.
The top gold Pencil winner on the first night of The One Show was adam&eveDDB London with This Morning ITV London and the Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM), which collected eight gold pencils for “Project 84.”
Droga5 New York picked up seven gold Pencils, including four for The New York Times “The Truth Is Worth It”; two for Tourism Australia’s “Dundee: The Son of a Legend Returns Home,” and one with Wieden+Kennedy New York and Bud Light New York for HBO “Game of Thrones x Bud Light—Joust.”
McCann New York also received seven Golds, including three for March for Our Lives “Price On Our Lives”; three for MGM Resorts International “Universal Love Songs” and one for State Street Global Advisors’ “Fearless Girl” in Creative Effectiveness.
The Canadian silver Pencil winners included:
- BBDO Toronto “The Paralympic Network” for Canadian Paralympic Committee in Branded Entertainment, Live Webcast
- BBDO Toronto “We Rise” for Right to Play in Moving Image Craft, Writing—Campaign
- Bensimon Byrne Toronto with Narrative Toronto, “The Healing House” for Casey House in Branded Entertainment, Experiential—Live Events
- Bensimon Byrne Toronto with Narrative Toronto, “Boys Don’t Cry” for White Ribbon in Moving Image Craft, Writing—Single
- Leo Burnett Toronto, “Poster Bank” for TD in Design, Branding—Branded Item and Design, Promotional—Posters, Single
- Taxi Toronto, “#Unignorable” for United Way in Health Wellness & Pharma, Print
Bronze Pencil winners were:
- BBDO Toronto for Right to Play’s “Anthem” in Moving Image Craft, Direction—Single and Moving Image Craft, Writing—Single
- Bensimon Byrne Toronto with Narrative Toronto for “Boys Don’t Cry” for White Ribbon in Moving Image Craft, Direction – Single
- Cossette Toronto with Pirate Toronto, OMD Toronto and Cossette Media Toronto for “Air Time” for SickKids Foundation in Health Wellness & Pharma, Radio & Audio
- Leo Burnett Toronto “MOCA” for Museum Of Contemporary Art in Design, Branding —Rebranding
- Rethink Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver for “Pass the Bill for Leaf Forward” in Intellectual Property, Physical Product
- Taxi Toronto for “#Unignorable” for United Way in Health Wellness & Pharma, Outdoor
Best of Discipline winners included:
- Branded Entertainment: DDB Chicago “Broadway the Rainbow” for Mars Wrigley Confectionery
- Creative Effectiveness: Wieden+Kennedy Portland “Dream Crazy” for Nike
- Design: The New York Public Library New York with Mother New York “Insta Novels” for The New York Public Library
- Health Wellness & Pharma: AMVBBDO London “Viva La Vulva” for Essity
- Intellectual Property: FCB Inferno London “Story Sign” for Huawei
- Moving Image Craft: Sra Rushmore SA Madrid with Blur Films Madrid “Hope” for International Committee of the Red Cross
- Public Relations: Leo Burnett Chicago “Legal-ade” for Kraft Heinz Country Time Lemonade
- Radio & Audio: BWM Dentsu Sydney “Project Revoice” for The ALS Association